The issue of loneliness versus addiction is very frequent. We have found that loneliness is a trigger for many evils and addictive tendencies and processes. People seem to take refuge in these harmful habits to avoid the absence of company. Many addictions hatch because people don’t know how to deal with loneliness. It usually happens in people who have difficulty socializing with others. It is also common in those people who live apart or far from their interaction groups, i.e., family and friends. This is how the need to learn to cope with the situation of loneliness vs. addiction arises.
In fact, the pandemic has increased loneliness in many people. This loneliness versus addiction problem has increased with confinement. There are people who have been isolated and are unable to visit their families. All dialogs and meetings are done by telephone or digital mechanisms. It is an impersonal situation where the hugs, the contact, the warmth of the people are badly missed.
This issue has increased in those who live alone. Now, with restrictions, they cannot leave their homes to socialize. Therefore, they must limit themselves to the space of their homes without company. As a result, all this is a situation that has become a breeding ground for addictions. In fact, it has caused so different effects on people that many people need to have a customized rehab program as a solution.
Loneliness often becomes the scene of negative habits. One of the problems with being alone is that you don’t have social control. It means that you don’t have someone to tell you if something is right or wrong. In addition, it possibly leads to the following circumstances:
- Relying on systems such as mobile or computer to communicate
- Using video games for entertainment that increase the isolation of the person
- Develop or regain habits such as smoking or alcoholism. Nicotine and alcohol give a fleeting sense of calmness, but they are addictive.
- Not knowing how to deal with loneliness, people accept negative customs to be accepted in certain groups and may consume alcohol and drugs for this purpose.
- They also fall into habits such as gambling through digital media.
- It happens that lonely people often develop depression. To cope with low moods, they begin to rely on antidepressants or alcoholic beverages.
- Likewise, there are people who begin to indulge their libido with a negative dependence on pornography, which has become massive on the internet.
It is clear that the issue of loneliness versus addiction is a complex one and people actually need professional support to handle it. Remember that thousands of people suffer from this problem, but they usually don’t express it. Right in the middle of their loneliness, they have no one to talk to about their problems.
Loneliness is one of the most frequent situations of people in contemporary times. People live in huge crowded cities. But, in the midst of so many people, the reality is that many feel alone. That is why so many addictions have developed in our time. If you have got some addiction, quickly get help for a customized rehab program.