News

Can cats eat chocolate?

Cats should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains an alkaloid from the cocoa plant, theobromine, which cats (and dogs) are unable to metabolize. Too much theobromine will create a Chocolate Toxic To Cats buildup that can cause liver failure, which can be fatal.

What to do if your cat eats chocolate? 

  • If you catch your cat eating chocolate or think it has eaten it (you may have found a half-chewed chocolate bar), take the following steps:
  • Watch them closely for the next 24 hours Do not let them out for 24 hours, keep all doors, windows, and cat flaps tightly closed, and watch for any of the symptoms listed below.
  • If your cat has a history of chocolate-related illness and you catch him eating chocolate, it is advisable to take him to the vet. Your vet may be able to make him vomit to prevent him from getting sick. Whatever you do, don’t try to force your cat to vomit, as this can be dangerous in the absence of an animal health expert.
  • Consider the quantity and the exact nature of what he has eaten and make sure to inform your veterinarian because the more theobromine your cat has eaten, the more serious his reaction is likely to be. If he only ate a small bite of chocolate cake, the effects are likely to be negligible, but if he took a full Cadburys bar, he could have serious complications. 
  • Tell the veterinarian about your cat’s height and weight. A large cat can get away with eating more theobromine than a small cat, so it’s important that your vet be aware of all of this. If your vet feels the situation is serious enough, you may need to give your cat intravenous therapy to flush out the toxins stuck in his liver.

Why is theobromine so dangerous for cats?

Theobromine is a stimulant that is closely related to caffeine.

Theobromine is an alkaloid of vegetable origin. Other plant-based alkaloids you may have heard of include morphine, cocaine, nicotine, and caffeine.

In comparison, theobromine seems quite tame since it’s really only known as a mild stimulant.

It usually works by increasing the heart rate while increasing blood vessels and sometimes by opening the airways. This is a rare problem in humans (unless you are crazy about chocolate), in fact, scientists are considering using it to treat whooping cough.

However, if the cat consumes too much theobromine, it can cause vomiting, tremors, and in some cases even internal bleeding from a severe heart attack, which can lead to heart disease.

Symptoms of Chocolate Overdose in Cats

If you have ever seen your cat eat chocolate or suspect that it has eaten chocolate recently, you should lock him up in a place where you can monitor him so that he can see symptoms such as the following.

  • Unusual degree of instability
  • Diarrhea and/or vomiting
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased body temperature
  • Tough muscles
  • Problems

If you notice any of these symptoms then you know that your cat needs immediate attention.

How much chocolate can kill a cat?

This is a serious question, but it is one that is often asked. It is impossible to say how much chocolate will kill a cat because cats are different from one another. The big cat will be able to digest more chocolate than the cat. 2g of theobromine, in theory, is sufficient to kill cats. In some dark chocolate, there is enough theobromine in one square to cause the death of a young cat.

If your cat has eaten chocolate, do not panic right away, this does not mean that your cat is about to die. Instead, be aware of any of the symptoms mentioned above, unless your cat is very small, it may be fine.

How to protect your cat from eating chocolate?

Many cats do not like to eat chocolate because they do not have the necessary taste on their tongue to see the sugar. The fact that you are reading this article probably means that your cat is the only one who is eligible for this rule. The reason for this may be that your cat is attracted to too much chocolate oil. Cats can develop a taste for sugary fatty foods if their owner makes a habit of giving them this type of food.

Here are some steps you can take to protect your cat from eating chocolate:

  • Keep your chocolate in a box away from cats. Keep it locked in a metal container in a closet where your cat does not reach. If you leave it in a cookie jar on your kitchen counter, your cat may drop it and eat it, so be careful where you store your chocolate.
  • Your cat may try to eat chocolate because it is not getting enough food. Improving his diet by increasing the good health of the cat can help reduce his appetite for things he should not eat.
  • Do not give him any kind of sugary foods over time, he will lose the love he once had, and his appetite for chocolate will decrease.

Replacing cat products

If your cat craves food, do not accept it. Instead, give him something he likes or is good, it should not be eaten. Catnip, if you spend 5 minutes of your time playing with it, maybe better, or better than a meal. If you have to give them something to eat, it is always safe to give up human food and give them something prepared for the cat.

Related Articles

Back to top button