Have you heard about the Fibonacci sequence? No? Let me tell you. The Fibonacci sequence is one of the most popular sequences which is considered to be discovered by the famous polymath Leonardo Fibonacci. We commonly refer to this sequence as nature’s code as this sequence is ubiquitous. We can define the Fibonacci sequence as a unique sequence that consists of different numbers that follow a specific pattern starting from the numbers 0 and 1 and then making a common pattern in which every number is the summation of the previous two numbers of the sequence. We have innumerable applications of the Fibonacci sequence in real-life. In this article, we will discuss various applications of the Fibonacci sequence, but before that let us learn in brief about the Fibonacci series.
What Do You Mean by the Fibonacci Series?
Generally, we use the Fibonacci series and the Fibonacci numbers interchangeably. The Fibonacci series consists of a different set of numbers that follows a specific pattern in which every number is obtained by the addition of the previous two numbers of the series. Leonardo Fibonacci is credited with the discovery of the Fibonacci series. However, many historians argue that this unique sequence was discovered much before the birth of Leonardo Fibonacci. You will be surprised to know that the Fibonacci series has an Indian connection too. We can find the clearest explanation of this series in the works of Indian mathematicians called Hemachandra, Gopala, and Virahanka. The works of these mathematicians remained unnoticed, however, new researches strongly point out the fact that this series was discovered way before the arrival of Fibonacci.
Areas Where the Fibonacci Sequence is Applicable
There are several subjects where we can find the presence of the Fibonacci sequence. Let us go through the list and understand where the Fibonacci sequence is applicable.
- We can find the Fibonacci series in the totals of shallow diagonals in the famous triangle known as Pascal’s triangle.
- Yuri Matiyasevich, a German mathematician was able to solve Hilbert’s tenth problem by showing that the Fibonacci sequence can be defined with the help of a Diophantine equation.
- The Fibonacci numbers also show various features of the Pythagorean triangles.
- The Fibonacci series is used to prove various connections in the field of geometry.
In Computer Science
- Deterministic Random Bit Generator is a popular algorithm that uses the Fibonacci numbers.
- We use the Fibonacci series in the analysis of a data structure called the Fibonacci Heap.
- They are also used in Scrum poker. Various computer algorithms and data structures use the Fibonacci numbers.
- This series is used by the coders to determine the highest common divisor of any two given integers.
In Various Other Fields
- Many traders and investors in the stock market and the cryptocurrency market use the concept of Fibonacci retracement, which is one of the techniques of technical analysis.
- The Fibonacci series is used widely in the field of optics.
- The golden ratio is determined with the help of the Fibonacci sequence. The golden ratio or phi is used widely in the concepts of theoretical distribution in the subject of math. Many musicians also take its help to create music.
- Mario Merz, an Italian artist used the Fibonacci sequence in his artworks.
- The Fibonacci sequence is also used in numerous other fields like physical science, cryptography, quantum mechanics, physics, and so on.
The Fibonacci sequence is one of the most intriguing sequences that has many mysteries attached to it. If you want to learn more about this special sequence in detail and in a fun and interesting manner, visit Cuemath and find out the ‘why’ behind the ‘what’. Learn from the most passionate teachers of the subject and excel in Math.